A friend of mine asked me for a visual of approximate portions sizes for the produce I put in my smoothies. Here it is.
I make my smoothies in a Vitamix Blender which holds 70 oz or 8 1/2 cups. The ingredients you see on the dinner plate made about 70 oz with the additional homemade apple, carrot, beet, and lime juice I add for nutrients and liquid.
These are the ingredients I am currently using:
– Banana – 1 whole, peeled
– Frozen blueberries – 1/3 cup
– Sweet potato – one mini or 2″ chunk, cut in chunks, peeled
– Pineapple – 1/4 of a whole pineapple, cut in chunks or whole, already peeled in frig
– Kiwi – 1 whole, peeled
– Orange – 1 whole, peeled
– Red cabbage – 1″ wedge
– Kale – 1 large leaf or 2 small
– Avocado – 1/3 to 1/2, scoop out of skin
– Mango – 1/3rd chunk, peeled or scoop out of skin
– Chard – 1 leaf
– Fresh ginger – 1″, peeled
– Dark Cherries, frozen or in glass jar – 1/3 cup
Plus, either in homemade juice or whole: apples, carrots, and beets.
I systematically start from my kitchen counter (banana), to the top shelf of my refrigerator, work my way down to the freezer adding the ingredients to my blender. This helps me not forget any ingredients. I can make a smoothie in 15 to 20 minutes, including peeling time.
Next, I eyeball and fill about 2/3rds of the blender container with my homemade apple, carrot, beets, and lime juice. You can add any homemade juice, or organic 100% juice, or water for nutrients and desired thickness and consistency.
When you are battling a challenge to your health, it is best to arm yourself with as much artillery in the form of nutrients as you can. That is why I make/juice my apple, carrot, beet, and 2 limes juice once a week, for the week. I can’t eat that much produce in a week, but my body and those I get to share my smoothies with need the nutrients. It is worth the 30 minutes once a week to juice and clean up.
A friend shared with me how her and her husband conveniently maintain their daily smoothie habit:
– Produce is prepared the night before and placed in the freezer. The next morning, they blend all their ingredients and violá, they have their cold smoothie.
What do you do to make your smoothie habit convenient for you? Please share your helpful hints.
Also, a smaller blender might be better for others; please share what blender you use that you are happy with and why. Thanks!
May the Lord give you wisdom to make smoothies or juicing a part of your health regime. Blessings to your health!