When you eat better, you feel better physically and mentally. Putting high quality nutrients in your body helps you think clearer and prevents those energy highs and lows. I love sharing easy recipes that provide your body with tools to help your body run efficiently.
Fresh plant-based foods have many vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and phytochemicals that benefit your body. Many of these foods have high antioxidant properties, heart benefits, and anti-cancer properties. Here a few of reasons I use these ingredients:
Carrots- immune building, healing properties, vision health
Kale- immune building, bone strengthening, vision health
Blueberries- brain health
Tart Cherries- anti-inflammatory
Oat or whole-wheat flour- fiber for efficient intestinal health
Flax- fiber, alpha-linolenic fatty acid
Olive oil- healthy monounsaturated oil
Eat Your Fruit & Fiber Muffins
♥ Ingredients ♥
1 cup organic soy milk or milk of your choice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups Oat Bran Flour Blend or whole-wheat flour
1 cup Bran flakes cereal, crushed
3/4 cups brown sugar or 3/4 cups cane sugar with 2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon flax seed
2 large carrots, grated or shredded
1 large kale leaf, grated or shredded
1/2 cup tart cherries, chopped
1 cup blueberries, add last so batter will not turn purple
– Blend first four wet ingredients together.
– Add brown sugar to wet ingredients, blend well.
– Add Oat Bran Flour, crushed Bran cereal, baking powder, and baking soda to wet ingredients, blend well.
– Shred or grate carrots and kale. Food processors make the job quick and efficient.
– Add flax, cherries, carrots, and kale to mixture, blend well.
– Gently fold in blueberries, so batter will not turn purple.
– Line muffin tins with paper baking cups.
– Fill muffin cups with 1/4 cup batter for standard size muffin tins/cups.
– Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Toothpick should come out clean when inserted in muffin.
– Allow muffins to rest in pan for five minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.